Friday, July 22, 2011

Into the Raging Water -Warning, Major Rapids Ahead

I think Bugs Bunny cartoons have had a large impact on my thinking process. During this trip I really did expect to see a few warning signs on the canyon walls but I guess those are only in cartoons. Big Sigh.

Wrong attitude. This is what we came for...rafting rapids. Bring it on.

The Grand Canyon has its own grading system for rapids, one through ten. Up to this point the most difficult we had encountered were sixes. Day 4, we would have our first level eight and two at a level seven with a few twos, threes, fours, fives and sixes mixed in. 

A little more about the rating system. There are no tens listed in the river guide we were using. I think those are rapids people are not expected to survive. Nines, eights and sevens, you are expected to survive if you take the right path and are lucky. Your boat my be flipped, you may take an unexpected swim...but you should...God willing...survive.

The first eight rapid...Hance. I was familiar with the name of this rapid before arriving on the river. An acquaintance had mentioned the week before our trip that Hance in particular could mess with people. Lots of boulders to navigate.

We pulled over to scout the rapid. This is when all the boat captains decided the route to take. I looked at it ahead of time just in case I thought I should walk it. What? Walk? No way! We're going as a family.


Seventeen-year-old Zman at the oars.

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

how did you all keep the camera so steady! thanks for posting was nice to experience it without being there says I who does not care for water!!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Kathy Schwartz said...

Thanks for posting the video. I love being on the water but calm water! Looks like it was an amazing experience.