Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Quilting Goes to the Side

I had a great time in Atlanta! Everyday was packed with so much...we worked and played very hard. We are building a home so my reason for traveling to Atlanta was to work with my great friend who is an interior designer. It is so great to work with someone who knows me and my husband so well. I now feel enthused about the new house...it had been a real struggle for me prior to the trip...I love my current home.

We are building a rustic style home. Cedar exterior. Wood floors of reclaimed wood on the main level and basement studio. Large river rock, double sided fireplace between the great room and dining room. Cedar lined vaulted ceilings. You get the picture...very Alaskan...a place my husband can hang dead animal heads. I do have a few walls reserved for quilts.

First we picked out the slate tile for the entry way and mud room along with the carpet that will be on the upstairs level with the bedrooms.


There is some fun glass tile thrown in this sample board that will appear in our powder room.

Then we picked tile for bathrooms.


The tile for the laundry room and bath that are next to the bedrooms with a piece of the carpet.



The master bath tile. The dark brown tile is from the store's floor but it sure looks great with our look. The center grey tile is granite and my friend placed it there to give me an idea of what to look for when I check out counter tops.

Then the most fun part...looking for furnishings. We  haven't bought new furniture in 20 years! I think I'm due.


A wool area rug for the great room with a charcoal leather sectional...maybe a blue ottoman or pillows like the top of the photo. In the left bottom half of the photo are fabric options  for dining room chairs. We are going with a rustic wood table with a trestle bottom. Maybe a bench on one side...it's a narrow space.

The tile and carpet prices jump on October 1st so I have to figure out my tile amounts now! Quilting will be on the back burner for awhile...but I am enjoying getting caught up on all the quilting blogs I regularly read...lots of great projects.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds nice - I would love it!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/