Saturday, January 14, 2012

Quilt Shop Excursion

I was feeling a little guilty about my quilt shop excursion yesterday until I saw a picture of bolts of fabric in the storage closet of Judy Laquidara over at Patchwork Times. I don't have any bolts of fabric so obviously my stash is reasonable. So I'm going to enjoy my purchases and share them with you. Many of the fabrics in the bottom photo I already had my stash but I was in search of yellows for the Dresdan Fan design over at Bunny Hill Designs. (Click the Scrap Plate Club button on the right if you want to check it out.)


I've really been drawn to quilts with yellow as a background color lately...so totally not my comfort zone. So I am going for it! I bought three bottom fabrics...the yellow print for the borders, the purple for the sashing and the yellow for the backgrounds of the Dresdan plates. First I have to pre-wash everything so no cutting yet. 

And when I got home I had a package waiting for me. I ordered four different fat backs...fabrics that come in 108" widths...and of course they are batiks.


Still diligently plugging away on my January UFO. I am surprised at how long it takes me to put these blocks together. Four more...


The two center blocks came in kits so the fabrics were already selected and ready to use. The other two are made of fabrics from my stash...although the dark grey for the halibut came from my set of new purchases. Very hard to find grey tones in batiks. They were approved by AK Santini this morning.

4 comments:

kellsgal said...

Deb, I like your halibut better. :). Can't wait to see you soon.
Melody

Cathy said...

I LOVE the yellow for the background, and the purple for the sashing, and the fabric for the border as well. It is going to be beautiful. Can't wait to see it grow.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL, I was just over at Judy's page a little while ago and I was awestruck - I couldn't imagine having that many bolts, it will be like walking into a fabric store when she gets it all out!!
I love your fabric - those colors are fantastic.
Karen

Suz J said...

Well it looks like you have been busy to me! Great blocks. Love the purples for the dresden plate... can't wait so get it into wash!