Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wednesday Progress

I was all set to say I had the main body of this top done but...


looks like I have a block turned the wrong way...can you spot it? (correction...two blocks are wrong!)

This is a Bonnie Hunter pattern, Pineapple Blossom. It's a freebie on her website. I'm working on the "scrap" half square triangles for a border...don't think I'll have enough to go around the quilt...more creativity required.

Time to start tackling my January UFO.


I'm actually going to read the directions and figure out a plan of attack. I never buy kits but this was irresistible for me.

I almost forgot. I have made some progress on my Bucilla stocking kits.


I also wanted to share how to add blush to faces. I've used makeup blush before and craft paint with a stencil brush but I learned this trick when I took a doll making class last year. It involves getting a prismacolor pencil from a craft store like Michaels or JoAnns. This one is scarlet lake. You will also need a piece of scrap fabric that is not dyed...I have a piece of unbleached muslin.


Rub a patch of color onto the fabric...hard...really make it strongly colored.


Then you are going to make a test spot. Rub the fabric with the colored area onto your sample fabric. Do not directly color your faces with the pencil.


Now my faces are ready for embroidery.



5 comments:

Sand and Sunshine said...

Great tip and your stocking is really turning out beautifully.

Sand and Sunshine said...

Oh geez, about the quilt top. Don't you just hate that?

Cathy said...

I love your Pineapple Blossom, and I like it with those blocks turned. Sometimes it is nice to take a break from symmetry. And I am coming close, really close, to ordering some of those stockings......... And that BOM project is absolutely stunning. But then I'm a sucker for applique.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I do see it - but I didn't actually notice it until I read through your post, then I checked it over and found it - you could say you wanted it to be different - you made it your own design!
Karen

Suz J said...

It's amazing that the most obvious mistakes are often the hardest to find. Probably something to do with the way our brains are wired. You have been busy with your stocking - looking great and what a subtle way of achieving the rosy cheek look!