Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Catching Up

I am drowning in emotion. Sunday I said good-bye to my youngest son. I was so proud of myself...no tears. His university is a great fit for him, Western State Colorado University. Lots of outdoor living...perfect for a transplanted Alaskan. He and his roommate rented mountain bikes and rode some great trails in Crested Butte on Monday.



While I was away with my son the dogs tried out a new home. They stayed with my favorite vet tech who is was also a Bernese owner. I saw her last month when I took the pups in for updates on their shots. She was interested in adopting them...but she has two males that have serious health issues. One of her boys has lymphoma and may only have a few weeks left to live. Her other boy has IBD - Irritable Bowel Disease.  

It went well for all the dogs while I was gone but as I expected...three boys was a bit much. I am thrilled they have decided to keep Jenny...and since they are going through a rough time with their boys...I get to keep Jenny until I leave for Paris in October. 

I'm now working with a family that I think might be a much better fit for Tonka. I won't say too much else until it's definite...but there is also a third option for him that sounds good too so I'm confident he will have a great new home soon.

In the meantime I am trying to work on getting our Alaska house finished. All of the knobs are now installed on all the cabinets...82 knobs and pulls. I hired a professional because that was the only way it was going to get done. Next is the railing on our second floor (yep...it's a little dangerous without it) and then shelves in the closets. I met with a contractor today so I hope his bid comes in at a fair price...I was comfortable talking with him...it is so hard to find people you can trust when it comes to construction.

Tomorrow is Breakfast Club and I am planning to attend...and work on that kit I started on at June's Breakfast Club. I won't bother with another picture of almost no progress on the quilt. Rain is in the forecast tomorrow so hopefully I will see lots of my quilting friends there. I could use some female companionship...and chocolate. Maybe I should bring brownies!

I bought a Kindle Fire and am trying to finish the George R.R. Martin series "Game of Thrones." Medieval science fiction is how I would describe the series. It's also an HBO series. I'm trying to stay ahead of my oldest son who also loves the series. I'm on the last book...then I'll be reading through everyone's book recommendations on their blogs.

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so glad to hear you have found a new home for Jenny, one down one to go. Sounds like things are progressing at the house, so much to do before you leave, the time will fly by. Have a good Breakfast Club with the girls - sounds like you need it!

Sand and Sunshine said...

Sounds like positive news all around. You're going to love your Kindle Fire. I have the Kindle Keyboard that DH bought me last Christmas (okay it came in November and I couldn't stand not having it). Don't forget to get a library card from your local library before you leave so you can check out books on the Kindle for free from your local library. Just go to overdrive.com to learn all about it.