Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What I'm Reading

I'm listening to my fist audible book while I sew...it is a good thing! It is very expensive to buy audible books but I had a free purchase to try it out on Amazon so I wanted to get my money's worth. I picked a book with 60 hours of reading...

Victor Hugo's, "Les Misérables."


Rather appropriate reading while living in Paris! I'm only a third of the way through the story.  Can't wait to see the movie...it finally got to Paris a couple of weeks ago. Many American movies are shown with their original voice...or VO as they would list the movie here.

I can't imagine reading this book...there is a good reason why the title is, "The Miserable."

I've learned a bit about French history through this story. The significance of Napoleon and his battle at Waterloo was discussed in great detail. There is also a lot of detail about areas of Paris that are very much a part of my world today.


4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it will be nice to see the movie in France and have it be in a language you can understand really well instead of hearing in French and loosing track of what is going on

Lynette said...

I enjoyed reading this book and the follow-on "Cosette" quite a few years ago. So much more depth than the musical/movie. Lots of history in there! It must be fantastic to read it in Paris.

Audrey said...

I had to read Les Miserables during my Grade 12 French class. Shortly after graduating I reread it in English just to get all those parts I wasn't sure about. Forty years later I recently watched the movie. All three experiences were awesome. Enjoy.

Gail said...

Maybe I should just see the movie. Thanks for sharing!!!