Sunday, September 8, 2013

Slow Stitching Sunday

It's been a while but today I'm joining Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday
I have a cross stitch ornament to share that has been done for a month. One of my addictions is Santa ornaments designed by Sandra Cozzolino. I've made soooo many of her ornaments
 but I still have so many to make! I like to do cross stitch on airplane trips.


I pushed through my tension issues on the latest quilting project. It was so painful! But I am now ready to add the binding and that will be my handwork project for the coming week. I absolutely love putting the binding on and I almost always do the final stitching by hand. 


Fall has arrived in Eagle River, Alaska. The lichen is changing colors on the mountains around us and as soon as the weather cooperates I will try to capture a photo of the gorgeous colors. It prompted me to change out a quilt by my front door to one of my all-time favorites...a braided quilt, Blazing Autumn.


I don't have many big walls for quilt displays so this quilt had to get folded at the top to shorten it...it works! I'm going to paint the heat register to match the wall soon...boy that bugs me in this photo!

With this wall in mind I have a new quilt designed using this bear-printed batik. The colors are hard to capture in a photo but they are the colors of my slate tile floor.


Of course I had to throw in a bear paw block with this design. Here's what I've got worked up on EQ.


Still some tweaking to simplify the design. Working with EQ 7 means trying to figure out how to put the image in my head on a computer program. Sometimes I think just drawing it out on graphing paper like the "old days," would be so much easier but I sure do enjoy playing!

7 comments:

libbyquilter said...

i love santa ornaments too. yours is really cute.

i think that quilt that you have hanging is perfect for fall and i wish that i could see the changing of the lichen. it must be beautiful~!

happy slow stitching sunday.
:-)
libbyQ

Suz J said...

Did you work out what was wrong with the tension? I didn't even notice the quilt was folded until you mentioned it - it looks perfect hanging there.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your hanging quilt!!! beautiful - I wish I had a good wall to hang a quilt on too - my one wall in the living room always has the couch cutting off part of the quilt on the bottom - but it is the only wall I have. What do you use at the top to hang the quilt I can't tell how you have it attached to the rod.

Quilter Kathy said...

So fun to see what you are up to...thanks for linking up and sharing your projects! Love the hockey Santa!

Suzanne said...

Our family in Fairbanks posted some "almost" Fall photos of the changing colors. We are beginning to feel a little of Fall here in Utah too. Love the quilt..nice to see as you come home!

Teresa in Music City said...

Your blazing Autumn quilt is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Caroline Ingalls said...

I love your braided quilt the colors really remenber me the fall foliage in the Shenandoah valley ...stuning!
Going East today for the quilt hexibition, but I think it's too early for us to spy those beautifull fall colors ...we'll have to spy nice quilts :)