Sunday, November 30, 2014

Too Much Time Spent Pondering

I'm in that lull between projects...spending hours looking through books, the internet and fumbling with EQ trying to decide what I am going to tackle. It is daunting. I do have my felt projects screaming for attention so I finally got myself to work on those.

I was hitched up on dealing with excess felt in my lining for the wall hanging. Lynette from What a Hoot! suggested I try blocking the piece. I would never get the front of this piece wet with the unpredictability of dyes in the floss but the problem was on the back side so I figured I could get it moist and gave it try.

Here's what it looked like when I started. I quilted around Santa's body in preparation for the blocking.


Using a damp cloth between the felt and the iron...I slowly worked some moisture into the felt and then steamed it dry. Not so pretty but the piece is now flat...


and looks great from the front. Yippee!


I am lining the whole piece again with a dark green felt so no one else will know about my little problem.


I thought initially I would add dark green sequins too but I am not so sure now...I like how it looks without them. I might throw some on and see what I think...or not.


There are star ornaments that are supposed to hang in three columns from the bottom of this wall hanging. I'm not going to add them to the wall hanging but they would be cute on the tree so I have started working on them too.


I should get the Bowling Santa stocking finished...I'll get the lining to the front piece stitched in place tonight.

4 comments:

Ramona said...

Your wall hanging is beautiful! I haven't purchased that kit yet, but might now that I have seen yours... satin stitching and all! :) I'm glad you were able to block the back so it's flat now. And I love the dark green felt on the back.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think the dark green felt looks wonderful with the wall hanging.

Donna quilts said...

I think it looks perfect now!

Stefanie said...

How about just a jewel of dark green in all four corners instead of another row of sequins?
Looks great!
Finally getting some snow here in Anchorage.
I think you have inspired me to try a felt kit.