Saturday, May 9, 2015

New York City Weekend

I love New York City in small segments. It was 13 years ago when I was last in the Big Apple...right after 9/11. I was very moved to see the Freedom Tower for the first time.


Day two, we headed down to the half price ticket seller at the South Street Seaport. Great view of the Brooklyn Bridge just a few feet from the ticket office.  We had fabulous weather the entire weekend.


We were able to snag tickets for the 11th row, center section for Hedwig and the Angry Inch. It was an incredible show.  A rock musical starring Darren Criss from Glee. No intermission...almost two straight hours of Criss on stage...singing...dancing and interplaying with the audience. Funny...moving...completely engrossing. The first 15 minutes are rather shocking...I'll leave it at that!!! I would love to see it again!


We walked around the NYU area and saw Washington Square Park.


And the Washington Square Arch which was built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of George Washington's inauguration as president of the United States.


Oddly enough...on this gorgeous day there wasn't a line to hit the 86th floor of the Empire State Building so we promptly made our way for grand views. You can see the Freedom Tower above all the other buildings from this view.


The next day we headed to Ground Zero. There are two pools that cover the footprint of the original twin towers...these pools poor into these seemingly bottomless holes...remarkable memorials to the 9/11 attack on our country.


A view of the Freedom Tower from Ground Zero.


Our last night in NYC we had a lovely sunset view of Jersey...I know...that might be considered an oxymoron by some!


There was some bad in the weekend. One of our friends had her wallet stolen from her purse while we were walking through a very crowded Times Square on Sunday following the Broadway show. She had no idea it was missing until several hours later...and she had a small purse with a full zipper across the top. It was very hard to believe it was stolen without her realizing it immediately. 

Despite that horrible ending...I hope to make it back to NYC someday. 

4 comments:

Ramona said...

You have done some traveling lately! I am like you... I like NYC in small bursts. Are you back in Alaska now?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

one day I might go back to NYC to see it, only been there once,but I am not great at cities they are too crowded

CecileD said...

The freedom tower is very impressive !!
Thank you for sharing Debbie !

Donna quilts said...

I would love to visit NYC one day. I love the energy I feel in a big city....great photos. I had no idea about the pools at ground zero. They must be remarkable.